Get ready for a difficult but life changing experience on the Choquequiraw trek. Also known as “Machu Picchu’s Sister City” sharing similar structures and architecture, Choquequiraw is an excellent choice for someone who wants a challenge and to complete a trek that has far fewer tourists and a more intimate experience. Choquequiraw is a sprawling complex for those that wish to have a more personal experience while exploring the ruins which are only 40% excavated. In the peak season, while Machu Picchu has 3000 visitors daily, Choquequiraw is much more exclusive having maybe 30 visitors daily with only 4,500 visitors for all of 2017. The time to accomplish this trek is now because part of the untouched natural beauty and exclusivity of this trek is due to the isolation and difficulty in accessing the site due to the need to trek in on foot which takes approximately two days. This will change soon though with the announcement of the construction of a cable car which will reduce the two-day hike to a 15min cable car ride. When this is completed, the President of the National Chamber of Tourism has estimated that they will receive approximately 200,000 tourists within the first year. The time to act is now.
Items Included in this tour
- Pick up at your hotel
- Private transport from Cusco to Cachora (starting point of the trek) and from Villa de Loros to Cusco
- Entrance tickets to Choquequirao
- English speaking professional tour guide
- Guiding tour a log the way and archaeological complex
- Four-person tent comfortable for two people
- Meals as indicated in the itinerary (optional vegetarian food with prior request)
- An emergency horse which can be ridden in case of emergenciesor or exhausted.
- First Aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle
- 8 kilos of your personal items such as extra clothes and sleeping bag will be carried by our mules
Items not Included in this tour
- Sleeping bag (available at Viajes LA for rent)
- Inflatable sleeping pads for extra comfort (available at Viajes LA for rent)
- Trekking Poles (available at Viajes LA for rent)
- Original valid passport and ISIC card, if you are a student.
- Sleeping bag adequate for temperature of minus 10°c (rentable for $20 for duration of the trek)
- Warm clothes and hiking pants.
- Layers of clothes for variable temperatures especially at night
- Headlamp or flashlight with extra batteries
- Camera with an extra memory card.
- Sun protection: sunscreen, sunhat, sunglasses
- Thermals: wool socks, gloves, scarf, wool cap for cold night
- Insect repellent
- Waterproof clothing
- Water bottles and purifying tablets – Optional
- Personal medical kit with a simple whistle
- Extra money for souvenirs, drinks, tips
- Walking sticks (available at Viajes LA for rent)
- Inflatable mattress (available at Viajes LA for rent)
- Sandals or flip-flops and bathing clothes
Important Considerations Much of this trek is isolated and rugged. It is advised that trekkers acclimate by spending a few days at Cusco (3300m) or similar before attempting the trek.
The trail crosses several high passes, and has multiple days that cover significant distances and elevation changes. Trekkers should be in good physical condition and be experienced hikers. Additionally, weather and trail conditions can vary. Temperatures range from warm and humid to below freezing. Trekkers should be prepared for changes to the itinerary and to meet unexpected challenges with an open-mind and sense of adventure.
Climbing Huayna Picchu Mountain is an excellent addition to a trip to Machu Picchu. It offers superlative views, but it is a steep climb that can take about three hours. Entrance to Huayna Picchu is limited and only at scheduled times. If you would like to consider doing the climb, it is important to book it in advance.
The last two days of the trek are through areas with heavy tourist traffic.
2 trekkers: $640.00 per person
3 trekkers: $640.00 per person
4 trekkers: $600.00 per person
5 trekkers: $600.00 per person
6 trekkers: $550.00 per person
7 trekkers: $550.00 per person
8+trekkers: $540.00 per person
According to Peruvian Law, you must be under 18 years of age at the time you do tour, or visit Machu Picchu, students 18 and above, need the ISIC card to qualify for the discount. Students must provide a copy of their passport at the time of their booking to get the student discount. Email us a copy at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Student Discount (only with active green ISIC card): US$ 10.00
- Students from 12 to 17 years, a discount of US$ 10.00
- Children from of 5 to 12 years, a discount of US$ 10.00
*More details will be available if you are interested in taking advantage of this offer, such as free tours in Cusco city, free items for camping activities, and personal discounts. contact us at email@example.com
RENTALS & EXTRAS
The following list of prices fixed in the items, are adjusted to the Choquekiraw 5Days/4Nights. However, we consider discounting the price for each item, for more than 10 participants in the group.
- Trekking poles – US$ 20.00
- Sleeping bag – US$ 25.00
- Inflatable mattress – US$ 20.00
- Extra Tent supplement– US$40.00
Viajes LA includes 3 stars hotel room in Aguas Calientes town and Expedition train service back and forth to Ollantaytambo, however, you can upgrade your the services for an additional cost shown below.
Applicable only if you are doing Machu Picchu by train.
- Vistadome Train (back to Ollantaytambo) + US$65.00
- Single Accommodation at Machupicchu town + US$40.00
- 4 stars hotel at Machupicchu town + US$ 75.00
Viajes LA provides the best quality of items for our customers, for a better experience during the trekking, we concern about the safety, comfort, and satisfaction in every trekking activity.
- Four season (Eureka k-2 tx) tents, for two people in each.
- Black Diamond Trekking Poles.
- Sleeping bags according to route requirement.
- We use 3* hotels in Aguas Calientes, if you don’t want to share the twin bedroom, select Single Accommodation when Booking.
- If you are nature lover and landscapes, vista dome train service is the choice, wider windows, and glass ceilings to see the mountains.